Lately I've been thinking a lot about how we change over time as caregivers - the parts of ourselves that die and the new parts that grow.
What has died in me:
- An assumption that I will have spontaneity in my life
- The idea that life would carry on according to my plans
- The inability to be alone
- Insecurity in my own abilities to do what I put my mind to
- Fear of vulnerability
What has grown in me:
- The sense of being happy without other people to 'make' me happy
- Humility in the face of the random nature of what life deals me
- Confidence in my values and in my advocacy skills
- Acceptance of my own limitations in keeping my loved ones healthy and safe
- A growing awareness of my own mortality
What has died in you? What has grown?
PS: See more images by this artist at http://brookeshaden.com/gallery/